My Yellowstone Blog

My Yellowstone Blog

This is a collection of stories and pictures of my favorite family adventures in and around Yellowstone National Park.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Bargain Barn

While we were in Memphis, we found out about the Goodwill Bargain Barn. It is a secret place behind the Goodwill store that my Mom and Aunt Jill found out about (unfortunately). We went almost weekly after that. Let me tell you a little bit about what the Bargain Barn is:

  • The Goodwill employees would fill up huge blue bins with clothing on one side of the building and different random household items at the other side of the building.....then comes the digging.
  • Clothing is $1.45 a pound (Mom and Aunt Jill tried to find the lightest things, so that when they weighed it, they would get more for their money).
  • You have to stand on the blue lines and wait for the next bin to come out and when it does, watch out! People will start to shove and try to get what they want. It's kind of scary, actually. But when people are satisfied with their loot, you get to dig through their leftovers!
  • You DIG through the bins and you don't even look at what size it is, you grab it because it has cute fabric.
  • Pretty soon you have a whole stack of clothing in your cart that you sort through after it gets too full.
  • Most of it will go back in the bins depending if it's your size OR if it looks like it came from your Great-Grandma.
  • Mom and Aunt Jill thought it would be wise if they brought plastic surgical gloves after their first couple of visits....it is not for the timid.
  • Mom and Aunt Jill discovered Ann Taylor, Anthropology, Aeropostale and more!
  • I have to admit, I did find some really cute stuff and I outfitted my whole wardrobe and then some!
Mom, Aunt Jill and Fiona going into the depths...:)


Knick-Knacks were on one side of the building and clothing was on the opposite side.


Digging through the bins....empty carts don't last for long (Mom is wearing Tilly on her back).


Lining up on the blue lines waiting for the next bin to arrive!


Aunt Jill and I digging through all the clothing....sometimes I got overwhelmed with how much clothing there was!! (Notice our gloves.)



Mom and Aunt Jill, digging!


The household items...


"Bargain" is our middle name!


Notice it says, "No Shoving". :/


The Bargain Barn.....Mom and Aunt Jill's new favorite store!


This is the REAL Goodwill store....too fancy for us!


2 comments:

  1. This is so cool! I wonder if they have one in my town...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I had not idea we were missing out on such glorious bargain shopping! I will have to investigate and see if we have a "bargain bin" around here! Thanks for the surgical glove tip, Emma! You can't beat those prices!

    ReplyDelete